Within Canada, responsibility for the orderly development of gojuryu karatedo rests with IKGA Canada, a federally incorporated entity. IKGA Canada has a Board of Directors elected from the membership and a Technical Committee appointed from the most qualified persons.
The goals of the association are:
- To promote gojuryu karatedo of the IKGA as a martial art and a lifetime activity as a sport, a form of recreation, for physical fitness and for self-defense.
- To develop standards and programs to help members to safely achieve their potential.
- To provide a uniform program for training in IKGA gojuryu karatedo within Canada.
- To govern the conduct of its members.
- To represent Canada to the International Karatedo Gojukai Association in Tokyo.
To achieve these goals, the Technical Committee of IKGA Canada has a uniform Instructor's Manual and grading requirements, and requests members of the Instruction Committee to pursue certification through the National Coaching Certification Program, as well as maintain high professional standards for teaching karate. Other privileges of membership include Yamaguchi gojuryu instructional videos, access to classes and seminars given by Master Yamaguchi, as well as classes wherever there is a member dojo.