Nagy Game Tries
1-2 2NT asks in which suit responder would accept a help suit game try.
- 3 = accept clubs. If opener now bids 3x it is a help suit in that suit.
- 3 = reject clubs, accept diamonds
- 3 = reject minors, accept hearts
- 3 = reject anything ever
- 3NT = natural, choice of games
- 4x = cue bid
- 4 = accept game tries, no slam interest (rare--- typically bids 3NT)
- 3, 3, 3 = short suit game tries
- 3 = trump quality game try
- 3NT = choice of games
- 4, 4, 4 = long-suit (not help-suit) slam tries, promising a 5-card side suit and a good hand
Over 1-2, same applies, only 2 is the ask, with notrump's now meaning spades,
- 2NT is a short suit try in spades.
- 3 is natural, 5-6 slam try.
After short suit tries, a repeat of the short suit try is a void suit slam try. A different suit beyond 3M is a cue bid and shows a short suit slam try with a singleton. After 2NT, opener's new suits above 3M show a help-suit slam try (probably in an accepted suit) and are cue bids.